News & Events
نسرين غدار، مديرة معهد الطاقة والموارد الطبيعية في الجامعة الأميركية، تشرح لـ «الأخبار» كيف أن البرنامج يستجيب لمطالب الطاقة العالمية المتزايدة التي تفرض ضغوطاً على موارد الأرض المحدودة. كذلك فهو يلبي، كما تقول، احتياجات المهنيين الذين يرغبون في المشاركة في تطوير وتنفيذ التكنولوجيات الخضراء في عملهم بما في ذلك المهندسون المعماريون والمهندسون، ومديرو المرافق والمقاولون من ذوي الخلفيات العلمية المختلفة
Click here to read the full article in Al Akhbar Newspaper published November 13, 2017.
With the successful completion of almost three years of the Professional Online Diploma in Green Technologies and the participation of more than 100 students, the American University of Beirut and the Faculty of Engineering and Architecture held a Networking Event at AUB on May 2, 2017 to provide consortium partners, advisory board members, staff, faculty and students an opportunity to network and discuss the new advancement and changes of the online program in green technologies.
The Online Joint Professional Diploma in Green Technologies announces the appointment of its first Program Ambassadors, Mr. Shukri Habib, Buildings Specialization, AUB, and Mr. Mohammad Onsi, Buildings Specialization, LAU. The nomination of both appointees was approved unanimously by the Green Technologies Steering Committee that has representation from the American University of Beirut, the Lebanese American University, and The American University in Cairo.
Mr. Shukri and Mr. Onsi were among the first batch of students who joined the program, participated in the technical training trip to Italy and Sweden, graduated in excellent academic standing, and have been active members of the Pro-Green community.
Both ambassadors will act as the program representatives and help increase the community’s awareness of the program, address students’ inquiries and concerns, provide their recommendations regarding latest topics for courses in green technologies, and represent Pro-Green in local and international events related to green technology.
The Pro-Green General Assembly was held on April 7 & 8, 2016, at the American University of Beirut. Meetings took place on both dates in B1 Auditorium, College Hall. A networking session was held on Friday, April 8, in B1 Auditorium, College Hall. The gathering was a chance for all partners, advisory board members, faculty, staff and students to share and discuss lessons learned and ways to move forward towards a sustainable future.
Sustainable building is one of the main aspects of real development| Al Afkar/ Issue # 1755- April 4, 2016 | 4/11/2016
A group of 12 Pro-Green students took part in a 14-day technical training trip to Italy and Sweden from February 7-22, 2016. The training involved trips to several PV plants, labs, and wind farms across several locations in Italy, and the cities of Malmo and Lund in Sweden. The trip according to their feedback was an enriching experience in both knowledge and companionship.
Below are testimonials from our students:
“An epic trip with a great company. Everyone of us made it more fruitful…" (Joey Aoun)
This fall, AUB, along with the Lebanese American University (LAU) and the American University in Cairo (AUC), began offering an online degree for postgraduate students and mid-career professionals looking to break into the field of green technology. The program teaches students how to analyze the efficiency of solar systems using software tools, estimate the effect of building design on energy use, and develop irrigation schedules, among other skills. The ultimate focus of the course depends on students’ chosen specializations: buildings, water, or energy.
Click here to read the full article (Page 19)
The EU-Lebanon Higher Education Cooperation Day and the first national information day under the new Erasmus+ programme took place on 18 November in the Auditorium Issam Fares, Notre Dame University – Louaize, Zouk Mosbeh. This event was held under the auspices of H.E. Minister of Education and Higher Education Mr Elias Bou Saab and H.E. Head of EU Delegation to Lebanon Mrs Angelina Eichhorst.
This event was a good opportunity for decision makers, academics and higher education stakeholders to learn about the international dimension Actions of Erasmus+, in addition to other EU programmes in the field of higher education and research. It will also be an occasion to network with representatives from other partner countries.
The main goals of this training were the following:
- Transfer and share know-how acquired in projects of RES heat & power generation, grid and interconnections, rural and village power, biogas, and engage participants in an active role to propose appropriate solutions checking their validity in the industrial context of Lebanon and Egypt.
- Involve stakeholders – energy companies, institutions, research agency, investors – to share expertise for common projects and future investments.
- Create a network that leads to specific market information, to establish links for possible funding from the international financial institutions.
The agenda constituted several visits such as the following:
- June 2 – A visit to the Building Physics department, at the Technical Faculty in Lund University.
- June 3 – A visit to the Building related testing labs of the department of The Built Environment in SP Technical Research Institute of Sweden, in Borås.
- June 4 – A study visit to new area with passive houses in Vallda Heberg, Eksta Bostads AB, Kungsbacka and to Visit to buildings sites in Malmö (Western Harbour).
- June 5 – A Presentation by the Department of Water Resources Engineering at the Technical Faculty in Lund University and Information regarding education and research in Hydrology, Water Resources, Coastal Hydraulics, Hydrometeorology, Water Quality, etc.
The Lebanese Pro-Green Consortium team hosted its first advisory board meeting on Tuesday, August 20, at 6pm. The meeting took place in the American University of Beirut.
The meeting provided an opportunity for Pro-Green to present the current development of the diploma and receive critical feedback from Lebanese industry representatives.
For a full list of our board members, click here.
For the minutes of the meeting, click here.
The Pro-Green Diploma has formed a board of advisers to help guide the development of the diploma. The primary role of the advisory board is to help align the diploma with current industry and market needs. The Pro-Green Advisory Board serves three critical functions:
- The advisory board will offer important feedback on the courses offered in the program, the structure of the program, the teaching pedagogy, etc.
- The advisory board will support and endorse the launch of the program.
- The advisory board will assist with promoting the diploma to potential students.
The first meeting of the advisory board is August 20. We thank all that have joined our board and offered their time in support of our program.
For a full list of our board members, click here.
Pro-Green Hosts its First Member Teleconference on April 24, 2013. The meeting was held to discuss the Pro-Green Diploma Proposal. Discussions revolved around Admission Criteria, Course Modules, and Joint Degree opportunities with European Institutions.
Pro-Green Partners attending, included:
- American Univeristy of Beirut
- Lebanese American University
- American University in Cairo
- Helwan University
- Lund University
- University College Dublin
- University of Alicante
- Mediterranean Universities Union
You can download the meeting minutes here.
New members from the American University of Beirut, Lebanese American University, and the American University in Cairo recently joined the Pro-Green Consortium.
The following members recently joined the Pro-Green Consortium:
- Dr. Charbel Mansour
- Dr. Ihab Ali
- Dr. Issam Srour
- Dr. Mahmoud Wazne
- Dr. Mohamad Abiad
- Dr. Wassim Habchi
- Dr. Mahmoud Farag
- Dr. Salah El-Haggar
- Dr. Ahmed El-Sherif
- Dr. Amr Serag El-Din
- Dr. Emad Imam
- Dr. Khaled Tarabieh